Before requesting an appointment, learn what to expect from the Small Animal Reproduction team if you’re seeking any of the following services:
- To select CSU as your primary reproductive veterinarian for breeding management
- To collect your stud (for evaluation, freezing, or shipping chilled)
- For reproductive diagnostic services only (progesterone and brucellosis testing or pregnancy imaging)
- For reproductive medical conditions or breeding soundness exams
- To ship frozen semen
Ready to schedule an appointment? Complete the appointment request form.
Select CSU as your primary reproductive veterinarian for breeding
Email us health testing and vaccine records
We require all breed-specific health testing in accordance with OFA guidelines. Distemper, parvovirus, and rabies vaccinations must also be up to date prior to breeding.
Once completed, email all health testing and vaccine records to email@example.com.
We will email you to schedule your first appointment
Once we receive the completed appointment request form and your dog’s health records, we will reach out via email within 1-2 business days to schedule your first appointment.
We recommend scheduling the first appointment 5-7 days after first signs of heat.
Attend first appointment
What to expect at your first visit:
- Initial blood work includes progesterone, brucellosis test, any other health profiles you would like run, as well as vaginal cytology (patient willing).
- Samples must be submitted to the lab before 1 p.m. to get same-day results.
- For any culture or send-out labs, preliminary results will be available in 3-5 business days, and finalized results will be available in 7-14 business days.
Collect your stud
We will email you to schedule the collection appointment
Once we receive the completed appointment request form and your dog’s medical records, we will reach out via email within 1-2 business days to schedule your appointment.
While we will do our best to schedule your appointment according to the date preference you provided, we cannot guarantee appointment availability. Appointments are available Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Complete additional pre-appointment forms
- For clients scheduling only a breeding soundness exam and semen assessment, no additional forms are necessary.
- For clients scheduling semen collection for shipping chilled semen, no additional forms are necessary (shipping information is already collected as part of the appointment request form). Please bring payment information for semen shipment to the collection appointment.
- For clients scheduling semen collection for freezing, complete, print, and sign the following forms. Email the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring them with you to the collection appointment.
Attend collection appointment
What to expect at your visit:
- We recommend bringing your own teaser to the appointment, so please try to schedule accordingly.
- If you do not have a teaser available, we can potentially schedule the collection while we have an in-heat female here for progesterone timing.
- We cannot guarantee we will have a teaser available for your collection.
- If we do provide a teaser, we will be extremely cautious with her and our safety.
- We will not collect from an aggressive dog.
Receive freeze results (frozen semen only)
Frozen samples will be evaluated 1-2 weeks after freezing, which is when you can expect final freeze results.
- We will email you a report with all the sample information (post-thaw motility, post-thaw morphology, etc.) and how many breeding units your dog produced.
- If the sample did not tolerate the freeze process, we may recommend not keeping this sample and we might have recommendations that may improve future freeze results and we will let you know at this time.
- After you have been contacted with post-thaw results, you will be charged for the freeze based on number of breeding units.
- Semen storage will also be charged at this time and will be prorated for the remainder of the calendar year. Future storage will be charged annually at the beginning of the calendar year.
- If you choose to transfer the sample or if you chose to have the sample destroyed, we will require the semen release form.
Reproductive diagnostic services only
Reproductive medical conditions or breeding soundness exams
Email us medical records
Please send all medical records to email@example.com.
Ship frozen semen
Let us know when the sample needs to arrive at its destination.
- We prefer as much notice as possible, but at least 7 days is recommended. Fewer than 72 hours notice will result in additional charges.
- Provide shipping and payment information if you are not the party responsible for payment.
Receive tracking information
We will email you tracking information once the package is with FedEx.