Welcome to our new students! As an incoming student you may feel excited and overwhelmed; however, reviewing and completing the content on this website will help ease the transition and prepare you to start the program.
Below are two equally important sections: Orientation and Preparing for Classes. Be sure to thoroughly read each. If you have questions, email the contact identified next to the topic heading.
The D.V.M. orientation team is planning 2022 Orientation activities. Orientation will be managed in a manner necessary to ensure the highest level of safety for students and staff, and will follow university policies for campus activities and group gatherings as they are made available. Students will be kept up to date through this website and email communications. This website will be updated as more information becomes available.
Section I: Orientation
Incoming D.V.M. students are required to participate in orientation. Activities planned throughout the week will help students become acquainted with each other and with important policies. Please email Adrienne Marcus with any concerns regarding participation.
RAM Outdoor Leadership Experience (ROLE) - CSU Mountain Campus
Students will spend the day at the CSU Mountain Campus either Wednesday (Aug. 17) or Thursday (Aug. 18) depending on group assignments, which will be communicated in early August. Buses are provided to transport students from Fort Collins to the CSU Mountain Campus, a two-hour ride into the mountains west of town.
Plan to meet at the CSU Tennis Courts (2400 Research Blvd, Fort Collins, CO 80526) at 6 a.m for a 6:15 a.m. departure.
Friday - Oath and Passages (Coating) Ceremony
Orientation week concludes with a special ceremony to recognize students as they commence their formal veterinary education. There are no dress code requirements; however, business casual is most common. All students are encouraged to attend. Students are able to bring up to 3 guests, and a livestream will be available for viewing.
When: Friday, Aug. 19; from 2-4 p.m.
NOTE: This event is subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We anticipate allowing guests to attend. Mask requirement is TBD.
Hilton Fort Collins
425 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, Colo. 80526
Contact: Lisa Shugarts
Section II: Preparing for Classes
Email and Setting Up and eID
To access required university systems including RAMweb (to pay tuition, accept financial aid, register for classes, etc.), and the university email account, students must establish an eID.
Beginning in July, D.V.M. Program faculty and staff will send all communication-related materials to your university email account.
For help checking your university email account, please visit the Email Accounts page from the Division of IT.
If you elect to establish privacy settings on your email account, then you will not be included on the Class of 2026 listserv and therefore will not receive emails from our office. We do not recommend this for most people. However, if this is necessary for your unique situation, then you must physically come to the D.V.M. Student Services office with a picture ID for us to manually add you to the class listserv.
Register for Classes
Obtain Rabies Vaccinations
Incoming D.V.M. students are required to receive a series of three rabies vaccinations within 45 days of beginning the D.V.M. Program (by October 10th).
You may complete the 28-day series over the summer through your primary care provider. If for logistical or insurance reasons you prefer to wait until you are on campus, you may schedule directly with the CSU Health Network by calling (970) 491-7121.
Notes on insurance:
- Students with CSU health insurance will need to wait until August 1 to start the vaccination series.
- Students with Medicaid should make an appointment with the Larimer County Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Those with Kaiser insurance will be required to pay out of pocket if they are seen at the CSU Health Network.
- All other insurances will be billed by CSU Health Network; however, it is the responsibility of the student to consult their insurance company regarding coverage and associated costs.
If you wish to seek an exemption or delay due to COVID-19 or other reasons, please submit an exemption request as described in the Rabies Policy.
If you receive your vaccinations outside of CSU, you will need to upload your records to your Student Health Portal (select rabies vaccinations from the drop down menu).
If you received your rabies vaccinations more than two years ago, you will be required to obtain a titer and get a booster if needed.
Contact: Adrienne Marcus
Get a CSU RAMCard
It is recommended that students obtain a RAMCard by the fist day of class in order to access first-year facilities. Consider getting your RAMCard before orientation week to avoid long lines. Make sure to bring proper identification! Click here for more information.
Get VTH Badge
After carefully reviewing the guidelines below, submit a photo to the director’s office by September 4 at midnight.
- JPEG format, color photo (no black and white)
- No larger than 1200×1600 pixels
- At least 300×300 pixels
- Photo should not be stretched, compressed, too bright, or too dark
- Solid white or off-white background (no door frames, wall texture, or other people’s shoulders/arms/hands if photo is cropped from a group photo)
- Full face and shoulders only wearing the blue lab smock provided at orientation or a navy blue shirt
- Looking straight ahead (no profile or 3/4 angle)
- No hats, caps, or sunglasses
- No animals or props
- A straight face or a smile – no funny faces
- Eyes open/visible, and looking forward
- Glasses are allowed as long as there is no glare that hides eyes
- Head scarves are allowed, but must not cover the face
- Religious garments are allowed as long as they do not cover the face
Complete Required New Student Forms
Please complete all forms listed below by July 18:
- Cube Living
- D.V.M. Student Health Responsibilities Form
- Essential Functions Policy
- New Student Survey
- Rabies Policy and Proof of Prior Vaccination Form (only required if requesting rabies vaccine exemption – upload rabies vaccination records through the student health portal)
- Fear Free Certification – Information and Instructions
Contact: Adrienne Marcus
Review D.V.M. Policies
Make sure to:
- Complete the New Student Survey
- Read and electronically acknowledge the Essential Functions Policy
- Read and electronically acknowledge the D.V.M. Student Health Responsibilities Form
- Receive required rabies vaccinations
- Send in your badge photo
- Follow university guidelines for getting your RAMCard
- Know how to access your CSU email account and check it!
- Read and electronically acknowledge the Cube Living
- Complete Fear Free Certification Course and send a copy of the certificate to D.V.M. Student Services
Other Useful Information
- CSU Health Network after-hours and emergency care for students
- CSU Health Network new graduate student checklist
- CSU Parking and Transportation Services – information on parking passes, and on-campus transportation options
- CVMA Student Chapter
- CVMBS IT Services can help with laptop recommendations, purchasing options, and all of your computer related questions
- D.V.M. student website – you will need an eID and password to access and is not available to incoming students until classes begin
- Transfort – the CSU and Fort Collins city bus system