TPLO shockwave treatment trial
Background and purpose of the trial
Pilot study: Evaluation of high-energy focused shock wave therapy for treatment of osteoarthritis and prevention of contralateral stifle injury in dogs.
To evaluate effectiveness of shock wave treatment administered to both stifles in decreasing osteoarthritis progression, and to evaluate the ability of shockwave to decrease the incidence of contralateral CCL rupture in the stifle not currently undergoing surgery.
Dogs will undergo serial evaluations, including multiple CT scans. Dogs will be enrolled randomly, double blind to either the treatment or control group.
- Your dog will need to be returned to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital for a total of seven visits for data collection and will have to undergo six sedated procedures.
- The follow-up period is 12 months.
- Fill out owner questionnaire regarding your dog’s mobility and pain level.
Free radiographs, CT scans and recheck exams. If all study visits, forms, and other requirements are fulfilled, you will receive a total incentive of $1,200 in increments at weeks 8, 26, and 50 of the trial.
- Dogs with bilateral CCLD of the stifle
- Dogs must weigh over 10kg
- Dogs in general good health
- Dogs must be able to wear monitoring collar
Enrollment ends September 1, 2023
Please complete our enrollment survey.