Equine Theriogenology Residency
The Department of Clinical Sciences at Colorado State University offers a three-year clinical residency in equine theriogenology. The goals of the program are to provide the candidate with an opportunity to develop significant clinical expertise in all areas of equine reproduction and to prepare residents for a future career in academic or specialty private practice. Residents are expected to be active participants in ongoing programs in clinical equine reproduction, teaching, continuing education, and research. The residency program is based at the Equine Reproduction Laboratory on the Foothills Campus of Colorado State University.
The three-year program includes the following:
- Clinical reproduction in mares and stallions
- Foaling out client mares
- Assisted reproduction (primary emphasis on embryo transfer; a more limited exposure to oocyte pick-up procedures and intracytoplasmic sperm injection)
- Active participation in undergraduate, graduate, and professional veterinary medicine teaching
- Continuing education for horse owners and veterinarians, including reproductive ultrasonography, embryo
- Active participation in at least one research project
December 3, 2022
Colorado State University
1693 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1693
Equine Breeding Farm Internship
The Equine Reproduction Laboratory offers a unique internship program that provides advanced training in equine breeding farm procedures and management for individuals with a sincere desire to pursue a career in the equine breeding industry.
Interns are trained in equine reproduction fundamentals:
- Stallion handling
- Stallion management
- Semen collection
- Preparation of cooled-transported semen
- Semen evaluation
- Semen freezing principles
- Frozen semen handling and inventory management
- Hormone therapy
- Reproductive management of mares
- Artificial insemination
- Care of the pregnant mare and foaling
- Assist with embryo transfer
- Care of the newborn foal
- Assist with oocyte pickup procedures
- Herd health management
Please visit the official job posting for further details and application deadlines.
The application for the equine breeding farm internship is closed.